The New Patrotism: UnityBy
The single most patriotic thing that every American could do at this moment in time is to learn to release our individual fears and move forward in the inner state of love and trust. This is the process of growing and expanding in consciousness and becoming spiritual adults.
Never before have we been here. The thinking and actions that previously we have used to guide us, no longer serve to navigate these uncharted waters. We need new ideas, new ways of thinking, inspiration, and out of this will come new the new behaviors to carry on from here.Where and how can we find these new ideas, new ways of thinking and inspiration for new actions?
I have modified this quote by Francis John McConnell: “We need a type of patriotism that recognizes the virtues of those who are opposed to us….. The old “manifest destiny” idea ought to be modified so that each
nation person has the manifest destiny to do the best it he/she can – and that without can’t, without the assumption of self-righteousness and with a desire to learn to the uttermost from other nations people.“
The old style of patriotism was “my country right or wrong”, flag waving, sending our youth off to war, fighting against some idea or movement, and endlessly making ‘them’ wrong because we are obviously so ‘right’. The definition of patriot and patriotism must change. Unless we shift how we are with each other, we will crumble ourselves. We have to grow ourselves into a nation of people that love, honor and respect each other. We need become listeners and give up being labelers. We must grow and change – individually – which is the journey of expanding our consciousness by releasing our fear of each other and stepping into love as our collective state of beingness; for we will either continue to be ruled by our fears and falter; or we will release ourselves from them and become truly free.
“Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand.” Matthew 12:25
Abraham Lincoln building his argument on the state of the nation in 1858 said,
“A house divided against itself cannot stand. I believe this government cannot endure, permanently half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved — I do not expect the house to fall — but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing or all the other.”
What divides us now in this year 2012 is not the issue of black slavery, rather it is our slavery to fear, itself. This is a nonpartisan issue present in each and every American, whether we express ourselves as Republican, Democrat, Independent, Green or by any other ‘label’. It expresses itself as dogmatic clinging to ‘the old ways’, ridicule of ‘their ways’, and self righteous mockery of anything we don’t espouse personally.
Yet, the first Amendment, guaranteeing our freedom of speech – thank heavens – allows – indeed insists that everything under the sun be here. Every idea, every point of view, every thought…just like the Universe. It all gets to be here, thankfully.
For to understand and experience what we desire, we must understand that which we do not desire. In order to be able to choose and focus, all must be present and understood.
We only resort to disrespect, derision, slander and ridicule we when are afraid of ‘them’. We look through the glass darkly,narrowly, and therefore miss the light that is available from everyone and any idea…if only it be a wee bit. To the degree that individually we have done our own inner work, freeing ourselves of our fears, learning to love and value ourselves first – can we then be a true patriot and listen with kindness, open mindedness, understanding and respect to others who would offer an entirely different point of view.
The etymology of the word patriot:
- 1590s, “compatriot,” from M.Fr. patriote (15c.), from L.L. patriota “fellow-countryman” (6c.), from Gk. patriotes “fellow countryman,” from patrios “of one’s fathers,” patris “fatherland,” from pater (gen. patros) “father,” with -otes, suffix expressing state or condition.
- The “com” means with, or together with. Patriot means – of the same fatherland. We are all compatriots of the same fatherland – Source Itself, God. We are all and each one loved and valued beyond measure. Each one of us brings to this American table something of unique value and high Quality to share with the rest of us.
- This is our radical act of patriotism in this year, 2012. The only work: your individual, Ordinary Heroes Journey work is to releasing your fears and allowing more of Who You Are, your True Self into your mind, and therefore your creations. Become your Best Self. Do your own inner work. Learn to master your mind.Without our individual fear separating us, we will transform American into something exquisite and brand new.
- You might enjoy listening to my interview with Congressman Tim Ryan of Ohio’s 17th District on A New View of Life Radio Show on VoiceAmerica. He is author of the new book, A Mindful Nation, which advocates mindfulness as a practice for all Americans. Mindfulness is an excellent place for all of us to begin transforming ourselves, then America.
- You can learn mindfulness by watching the video with John Kabat Zinn.